Skip to main content
Students in the College of Engineering are held to a unique set of honors requirements:
- Students in the College of Engineering will receive seven units of honors credit for design work in their major, awarded at the completion of the degree.
- Engineering majors are encouraged to take ENGR 102A/B, and ENGR 196A, for Honors credit.
- Most Engineering majors require a 6-unit capstone project in the senior year. Students in those majors will earn 6 honors units for the completion of the senior project. The senior project can also be used to fulfill the honors thesis requirement. (Mining Engineering is an exception. Because this major only requires a 3-unit senior project, students must add an additional 3-unit component to meet the W. A. Franke Honors requirement). Because most senior projects are group projects, Franke Honors students must annotate their roles in the project and show clearly how their work is above and beyond what is normally expected for a senior design project. The vision is that the additional work should involve more analysis that leads to a better design. The final report will be due with annotations when the design class reports are due and will be evaluated by the faculty member in charge of the design class. The format of the report will be specified by the faculty member in charge of the design class. The instructor may require modifications so any required changes will be communicated to the student in a timely fashion so that they can be included in a final draft. If there is no senior design project, the student must complete an honors thesis in accordance with the rules of the W. A. Franke Honors College. This thesis will count for six honors credits.
- At least nine units of honors credit must be earned outside of the College of Engineering. It is strongly suggested that students consider taking honors sections of English and General Education classes; however Math and Science classes may be used as well.
- The following adjustments in the above policy will be made for transfer students entering the W. A. Franke Honors College (standard Franke Honors College credit adjustments for transfer students also apply):
- * entering transfer sophomores – at least three units of honors credit must be earned outside of the College of Engineering
- * entering transfer junior/senior – no restriction on honors credits earned in and out of the College of Engineering
- Students in the College of Engineering may fulfill a total of 12 honors credits through a contract.