Message from the Dean
The W.A. Franke Honors College provides an intellectual space where students embrace challenges and risks in an environment of curiosity, reflection, and self-discovery. Franke Honors students are innovators, and we support their aspirations by leveraging the world-class resources available at the University of Arizona while encouraging engagement with the larger world through study abroad, service learning, and professional development opportunities.
We have taken many strides over the last few years in service of our mission to empower each student to reveal and pursue their passion with a deeper sense of wonder and purpose. In 2019, the Honors Village opened its doors, creating an optimal space for living, learning, and collaborating; in 2020, the Franke Honors community navigated a global pandemic, supporting our students as they embraced an interdisciplinary approach to their studies and gave us hope for a brighter future through their achievements; and in 2021, through a generous naming gift by William A. “Bill” Franke and family, the Honors College became the W.A. Franke Honors College. This investment made by the Franke family will prepare our students to participate in a highly-globalized world and business environment, and it supports our students and faculty in many important ways.
- It establishes the W.A. Franke Honors College Endowed Scholarship, which will provide scholarships of up to $15,000 per year to first-generation students and students who have overcome or are experiencing financial hardship.
- It creates the W.A. Franke Honors College Endowed Housing Award, which will provide financial awards to help offset costs for students living in the Honors Village.
- The W.A. Franke Honors College Endowed Undergraduate Global Fellowship will provide awards to Honors students to participate in study abroad programs across the world.
- It establishes the W.A. Franke Honors College Endowed Academy of Scholars for Teaching Excellence, to recognize and support faculty providing exceptional teaching and mentorship to Honors Students.
- It creates the W.A. Franke Honors College Endowed Dean’s Chair, which will give additional flexibility to myself and future Deans to pursue the highest priorities of the W.A. Franke Honors College.
Many of our students, current and future, will be touched by the Franke family’s generosity, and all of our students will see the value of graduating from the University of Arizona with Honors strengthened by the Franke name.
When I became Dean of the W.A. Franke Honors College in 2017, I knew that we had strong curricula, faculty, and programming, exceptional students, and a long history of helping students to grow intellectually and academically. I felt certain that this college was poised to become one of the premier honors colleges in the United States. In the years since, my confidence in this assessment has only grown. I invite you to join our Franke Honors Wildcats in building a brighter future for our college, our community, and our world.
Welcome, and Bear Down!
Terry L. Hunt, PhD